The SOD Ski Team is the premier ski team in Southern Ontario Division with a strong relationship with SOD clubs. Now in its 4th season, it replaced the former Escarpment Team and has grown from four athletes to an anticipated 30 athletes for the coming season. It is one of the development paths to the Ontario Ski Team – ideal for those athletes who wish to remain in their current schooling systems and continue living at home.
The SODT offers a year round program commencing in May of each year that includes three dry land camps and three on snow camps. The SODT will work with specific dry land trainers, both in Collingwood via Active Life Conditioning and in Toronto with the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO). The team has close relationships with ski manufacturers and local race retailers to work on the equipment needs of each athlete.
CORE BELIEFS & VALUES OF THE SOD SKI TEAM
1 – Every Athlete deserves a Coach
2 – Athletes should be developed not filtered
3 – Commitment, Effort, Determination and Focus will lead to success
1) To provide Athletes with the opportunity to pursue their passion for ski racing in a supported team environment geared towards each individuals needs.
2) Build athlete centered schedules while suupporting individual academic needs through our approved educational institutions and available tutoring while at fall on-snow camps and when training in Collingwood.
3) Provide individual annual fitness programming developed from the fitness assessments conducted at the CSIO
4) Challenge athletes with targeted race and training opportunities.
5) Support an atmosphere where risking failure and learning from success provides excellent life skills that will serve the athlete well beyond their ski racing career.
Working in partnership with Alpine Ontario Alpin, The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario – a recognized world leader in high performance sport – supports the SOD Ski Team with fitness programming, tracking through their interactive app, shared knowledge and training methods.
CSIO Mission Statement: “The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario is committed to the pursuit of excellence by providing world-class programs, services, and leadership to high performance athletes and coaches to enhance their ability to achieve international podium performances”.
Parents and racers please download and read in full the SOD Athlete Handbook.